Monday, March 18, 2013

Staying in Groitzsh and meeting Henry Buckhardt


Well transfers are over with and Elder Guccione and I will be staying in Groitzsch together!  I'm excited for that because I feel like I have barely been able to get to know the people here! 

This week has been a good one.  I've felt the spirit more this week than any other.  I have some great news also!  Frau Ro**** is getting baptized!  On April 6!  How awesome is that!?  Ahh we are so excited for her.  When we challenged her, we told her that she needed to give herself a present for Easter and what better gift to give yourself than to become baptized!  Aww so cool.  It's awesome to watch people change their lives. 

I want to tell you about this guy in our ward who joins us when we go and visit Omi.  His name is Henry Buckhardt, and he is amazing.

Henry Buckhard     thttp://www.deseretnews.com/article/700063479/LDS-leader-served-behind-Iron-Curtain.html?pg=all


The closest man to God that I have ever met hands down.  He is in his 80's now but he was the Freiberg Temple president for 7 years, he was President Kimball's right hand man in Germany, and is best friends with President Monson!  He would tell us stories about how President Kimball would call him up and ask for some advice or how they would visit all the time.  We asked him if they had a translator or anything thing, he replied with a shrug and a "no, but we understood each other."  I was thrown back into my chair a little bit, realizing who this man really was.  So so so cool.

Yesterday (Sunday) Elder Guccione and I held a fireside for the ward and investigators on the topic of "Why are there so many churches on the earth?"  Anyways, long story short it went really well and the spirit was definitely felt.  Just fun things to do to keep the week interesting! Guess what ?!  I play the piano!  Well I can play just about every hymn now with one or two times practicing and I played for the fireside on Sunday and I don't know what happened!  It's the spirit guiding my hands I guess!  Cool right?!

So the weather in Germany has been tempermental lately.  Last week it got up to 15 grad and now it's going down to -16.  It sucks haha I don't know what to think.  It was sunny last week and then this week we had about 6 inches of snow.  Reminds me of Utah.

Today for P-Day we went to a museum of the great war in Leipzig.  The war was between Napolean and the Germans and Austrians.  Anyways I got some pics! 





These guys were pretty big.  Of course Napolean stood no chance.  They say that St. Micheal came down from heaven to help.  I'm just waiting for the battle of Armegedeon where Micheal the Archangel is gunna swoop down and ruin somebody's day.

My spiritual thought of the week is brought to you by...Deseret Book, feeding the mind...
Nah but I was reading about how Alma on his mission was mourning for all the Lamanites being destroyed by the Nephites, because the Lamanites were going to destruction when they die.  They were being damned in front of his eyes.  That is what I feel like here.  I look at these people and hope with all of my heart that they will soften theirs and realize that they have a father in heaven who loves them.  I hate that I feel almost like I'm taking away their chance if they say no, that is why I need to be prepared for the spirit in every door approach, every street contact and in every lesson, because somebodies soul is at stake and I know that it isn't all on me, but I realize that I've been sent to help them gain salvation through the mercy and love of Jesus Christ.  It is on me to tell them the truth and to have the spirit with me to testify to them of the truth.  I'm grateful for the trust that Heavenly Father has placed in me to teach HIS sacred and loving children.

Offenbarung for the week.  Not too much more happened this week but still going strong!  Loving life!

Aufwiederhören!

Elder Brandon Hays

No comments:

Post a Comment