Monday, December 16, 2013

Come Follow Me

We have a young woman in our ward whose parents are very active but the boyfriend is not.  She has been inactive for a very long time and lives with this boyfriend.  I happen to be very good friends with her boyfriend and the Sisters are very good friends with this young women.  We have been working forever with them to get them to do something in the Gospel.  They used to go to church all the time but the boyfriend was never baptized, mainly because the mother of the girl was really pushy.  That being said...they came to church yesterday!  It was so amazing.  I sat next to them and they had a great time.  I hope they felt the spirit.

I have had a question in my heart for a while now that has gone unanswered.  Maybe because of my inexertion to really ponder and pray but yeah...In search for my answer, I turned mostly to the scriptures and prayer.  My question was something personal but it has to do with investigators feeling the spirit.  I feel like I shouldn't share it but if you read in Alma 31, you will find out how I was feeling and have said many similar prayers according to this one that Alma speaks.  I love the scriptures so much...Even though missionaries have struggles, it is important that we come out on top.  If missionaries are feeling stressed out, nervous, consumed or anything of that sort, it is becuase they aren't pondering and turning to the Lord enough.  Turning to the Lord includes scriptures, District Leaders, prayer, and pondering.

On Tuesday, we had the opportunity to go and do service for a big charity organization that I had worked with.  We went to a big complex, helped set up tables and food.  It was made up for kids in the city of Dresden who wouldn't get a Christmas this year becuase of lack of resources.  This organization gave them something that I personally won't ever forget.  450 kids showed up with their single parents, 16 year old mothers with nothing.  Families who had left their country for a better life with nothing.  We served cakes and muffins and hot chocolate to everyone and it was just so perfect.  We then got to sit back for a while as they sang and danced to different songs.  Then came Santa!  It was so incredible.  He came in with a personal gift for each child.  To see the look on the mothers' faces and the tears and the gratitude was overwhelming.  To see a nine year old rip open a package for the first time in years is something new for me.  I can do more...and I think everyone can do more...

 22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the apoor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
 23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.
 24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! (Luke 18:22-24)

I know that as we give ourselves this holiday season, we will grow in our testimony of the Savior, for He truly gave Himself; is there genuinely something we can do more?  Ask yourself, what more do I lacketh?  'Sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven:  and come, and follow me.' 

He states two things that I find interesting.  1. Do we strive for a treasure in heaven?  Or one on earth?  For I say unto you this day that the treasures laid up on this earth will melt away along with your soul.  2. 'Come and follow me', only after you have sold what you have; only after you have sacrificed the flesh of this reprehensible world; only after you have left your family and friends and have given your life to the work; only after you will stand before kings and magistries......are you ALLOWED....to 'Come and follow Me'.  

20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: (Matt 6:20)

I love you all :)  Facetime at 17 O'clock my time and 9:00 your time?  Christmas morning?  Let me know next week.  

Love, Elder Hays

No comments:

Post a Comment